Monday, September 15, 2008

Sign behind your credit card!

The rule was simple, logical and yet self-explanatory enough- it couldn't really be any easier than to just look behind one's own card to read- "Authorized Signature" and "Not Valid Unless Signed" . The idea was to prevent credit card fraud and it was decided that henceforth no unsigned cards would be accepted. And so we had started asking every customer to sign behind his/her card.

The short-tempered, middle-aged man at table number two was obviously not the logical kind.

"Why the hell do you need a signature?" he growled to his server who ran up to me for help.

I tried explaining that this is was a requirement from the card companies and not a personal affront to him! But no, being the big shot, who, by his own admission, had recently done transactions worth a few hundred thousands on his unsigned card, he was not the kind to easily accede to my requests.

"I am not questioning the validity of your card," I ventured, "this is standard procedure"

"What standard procedure?" he thundered, "I use this card to eat out twice a week. No one has ever made such a preposterous suggestion to me."

"Well, it's clearly stated in the Visa/MasterCard Merchants' handbook," I muttered.

"I'm not signing the damn card," he growled with an air of finality, "do what you want, here is the card if you want me to pay."

"Well then, Sir, perhaps you could pay cash?" I said, hoping to bring this to resolution.

Just when we seemed to have reached a stalemate his daughter intervened. She made a pleading gesture to him and then quietly handed over her signed card to me.

The tense situation defused, I quickly went behind the cash counter to swipe her card.

Not being the kind to let anyone go one up on him, he came up to me before leaving and asked as to whether we had permission from the civic authorities to operate on the upper floor.

"Of course we do," I began.

"No!" he cut me off gleefully, "This is a residential area. As you seem to know all the rules, check with your owners and let me know the next time I'm here." was his parting shot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is obvious that Delhites love to throw their weight around and push other people to have their way. This lack of respect for the rule of law is at the root of all the of the city's chronic issues.